Saturday, July 23, 2011

New Faces, New Places, and Classrooms, Oh My!

After having been here just over three weeks, I have realized that spontaneity is a key component to living in Malaysia. Last Sunday I was invited, along with a friend, over for supper. We ended up staying late, drinking tea and talking. Tuesday we started NSO (New Staff Orientation). Every day Tuesday-Friday we had to be at school from 8:30 am -12:00pm. Then we were taken out to lunch afterwards. It was great to get to know all of the other new staff members from dorm parents to teachers! Each day has brought a new surprise. This week I have gone to a movie, out to eat, to an amazing (yet random) store called SSF, out to eat, random gift shops, grocery store, Bora Bora - a bar/restaurant which I found out have great french fries, to PenHOP, out to eat, and much more! You'll notice a pattern of going out to eat. :) That is a BIG part of the culture here. The stalls, or "local food courts," are very inexpensive and have GREAT food. It is more economical, especially for a single, to get meals out rather than buying ingredients to cook. 


Last night I went to PenHOP which is the Penang House of Prayer. It's similar to IHOP, International House of Prayer, which is in the States. It was great to pray and worship alongside many other believers from literally all over the world! 


Today I found out that my classroom will most likely be ready before expected!!! Praise the Lord! I am so thankful that it will be ready sooner than later. We were told to expect to get into your classrooms no earlier than a couple days before school begins. Now we are told we will have about a week and a half to set up! That's a HUGE difference when it comes to setting up a classroom. Please continue to pray that the classroom will get done at this new earlier time. Also, pray that I am diligent with the time I have been given. Now that I have reconnected with people I knew from before and built great relationships with new people, it is very easy to spend time with them rather than do school preparations. Finding the balance of doing my job well and spending time with people will be a key component to this school year. I remember this being a challenge in college. At Crown I often times sacrificed hanging out with people to solely focus on my studies.


Please feel free to comment below, e-mail me, or facebook me anytime! I love getting "mail." :) 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update. This is great news regarding the classroom time frame, and I will continue to ask the Lord to move that along. Love your honesty about wanting to make wise decisions with your time... so I will trust the Lord, along with you, to give you balance in your days.

    I am thinking that I need to move to Malaysia. I really like the idea of eating out all the time AND it being more economically beneficial. I'll let you know when I'm headed that way. Any need for social work over there? teehee. :)

    I am praising Jesus with you. His radiance is showing in every message you write. His confirmation has come in blessed ways for you and for those of us back here who love you so dearly. Your kids are going to prosper for having you and the Lord Jesus in you.

    Love you much, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are having a great time! :) I hope that you can find a nice balance between socializing and work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi I am so happy that you have settled in well, and I know that God is going to use you in such a powerful way in those kids lives once school starts. I'm so proud of you, and am blessed to have you as my sister in law. I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete