Sunday, July 10, 2011

Gaining Experience? You Bet!

Having been in Penang over a week now, I have had many MANY experiences. One day last week, I went to a nearby mall with the Sasse's to see a movie. After the movie let out, the Sasse kids wanted to see another movie. So we hung out at the mall until the next movie started. Once the movie ended, we went to my car. I told the Sasse kids that I had to run to TESCO to get a water filter and milk. We ran in for ten minutes and then returned to the car with the water filter and milk in hand to discover I had left my car lights on. Whoops. I tried starting the car. The battery was completely dead. So there we sat in the car garage. I used my handphone to call Karen. She called a fellow Dalat staff member who drove out at almost 10pm to jump start my car. I dropped the Sasse kids off at home and returned to my apartment. The next day I went out to find my car dead. Thankfully, there is a car repair shop within walking distance of my apartment. Mr. Lee scooted down on his moto and brought a new car battery. He replaced it, I paid, and he left. My car now works wonderfully! :)

I have also experienced purchasing a handphone, opening a bank account, getting a physical, etc. Most recently I was invited to get supper with one of my neighbors, who is also a Dalat colleague, and his brother and sister-in-law. It was quite an adventure! We drove to the other side of the island. Before supper, I tried Durian for the first time! The first time I was in Malaysia, in 2007, I was too afraid to try it. The smell is very distinct, to put it nicely. :)  When I student taught here in 2008 it was out of season when I got up the nerve to try it. Finally, last night I experienced Durian. It is considered a "fruit." It is very hard to describe what Durian looks like, feels like, smells like; however, I will do my best. The outside of Durian is a hard, spikey shell. Once you crack it open, you will find the Durian pods to eat. They can be yellow or white and there are many different kinds. We tried three different yellow Durians called centipede, red dragon, and green skin 15. The Durian looked like it had congealed skin on top. Once you bite into it, it is very mushy like thick baby food. The taste of the centipede Durian was very strong, but not as bad as I expected it to be. The texture of it was what disgusted me the most. I am told in order to like Durian, you need to try it three times. For now, I do not forsee trying it again anytime soon. :)

After our Durian experience, we went up a mountain to a restaurant. We had green curry, cashew chicken, fried veggies, another kind of chicken (the name is escaping me at the moment...), and chinese tea. The food was great and the view was amazing! I can now officially say I have been around the entire island of Penang. I had never been to the other side until last night.

Another thing I have experienced is church. Only having attended two services there the past two weeks, I have immensely enjoyed it. It is quite different from what I am used to in the States; however, I am learning lots. On average the entire service is about 2 hours, from 10am-12pm. After things settle down at Dalat with teaching, I plan to get more involved in church.

My classroom has not been completely built yet. It is still unknown when exactly we, both 3rd grade sections and a 4th grade section, will be able to get into our classrooms. Until then, Karen is helping me to get things done ahead of time so that I will not be as overwhelmed in a few weeks when school is about to start.

I have been having an amazing time here thus far. I've been able reconnect with old friends, make new friends, and get to know my surroundings better. I have constantly seen how much God has blessed me with: a very supportive family, friends, and church, an amazing job, great apartment, car, plus much more! I have so much to be thankful for and I praise God for all that He has done and will do. To God be the glory!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Jodi,
    Thank you for the blog updates. It's so fun to read all that God is having you experience. As I read I often stop and pray. I think the Lord has big plans for you in Malaysia.
    Blessings to you, dear friend!
    Love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete